Friday, November 8, 2013

Mark and Cindy Cochran are hosts of internet radio talk show!

“The Mark and Cindy Show”
   
    I took up signing several years back when I was a beginning high school teacher. By “signing” I’m referring to sign language. Not signing stuff with a pen or pencil. I’m still working on that.

None of my acquaintances or members of my family were hearing impaired back then, so I started learning sign language because I got hooked on the “Signing with Cindy Show.” Remember “Signing with Cindy” on PBS? Cindy was the best signing teacher in the world. And, she had a great sense of humor. Reminded me of one of my Oklahoma cousins… only, Claudia couldn’t sign.

I didn’t like it when Cindy taught the letters of the alphabet. I always had trouble with my fingers… my fingers and my inability to remember which finger positions stood for which letters. Turns out, that’s pretty important.

I was much better with whole words. You only use the letter signs for names and words that defy description. Most words can be acted out. Words like “crying” and “anger” and “horseback riding.” Since the age of five, I’ve been the best horseback riding signer in a the lower 48.

Songs were Cindy’s best teaching tool. As she signed a song, her expressions were absolutely mesmerizing. It was as if she were dancing without using her feet.

I was a quick song learner. One morning in front of one of my History classes, I signed the entire first stanza of “Sunshine on my Shoulder.” I was so proud of myself. My students? Not so much.

Cindy became a nationally known figure. She appeared on Johnny Carson twice. I never got a second invite by Johnny. Might have, had I gotten a first. Johnny liked Cindy ‘cause she was smart and funny as all get out.

Over the years, “The Signing with Cindy Show” went its way, taking with it my signing skills. I still know the sign for “shoulders” but that’s about it. I later learned that Cindy went on to do stuff for other Networks, but I never saw her on TV.

However, -- And this is the exciting part -- I recently ran across her at church. When someone told me that Cindy Cochran attended, I was unfazed by the news, ‘cause the Cindy I knew had “Cindy” as a last name and “Signing With” as her first name and middle. As soon as I learned the truth, I elbowed people out of the way until I met the one and only Signing W. Cindy.

Turns out, Cindy lived in The Woodlands for a good while, before moving to Willis with her husband, Sam. She was immediately so impressed with my charm and speaking manner that she suggested we have a talk show. -- There’s more to it than that, but who cares?

Long story coming to a short ending, starting Monday morning October 28 (that’s tomorrow) “The Mark and Cindy Show” will be broadcast live in downtown Conroe at the Lonestar Internet Radio Station, located on the South side of the Crighton Theatre. We’ll be live Monday through Thursday from 10:00 to 11:00. Friday mornings will be a “Best Of” broadcast. You can join us at www.irlonestar.com. After a day or two you can catch the reruns, or the Lonestar website.

Cindy won’t be signing on the show ‘cause its radio. I wasn’t clear on that at first. However, you’ll get to hear her say stuff that I likely won’t agree with. Turns out, what Cindy and I have most in common is our sense of humor and our pretend horseback riding skills. Other than that, she’s a mess… a mess with a winning personality. If you don’t like Cindy Cochran, you clicked on the wrong program. Again, it’s www.irlonestar.com .

Dick is the President and All Around Person-in-Charge of The Station. He’s a youngster, somewhere between the ages of 14 and 30. I’m better with old people ages.  Despite his youth, Dick certainly knows what he’s doing. Definitely has a clear vision for his Internet Radio station.

Before I leave you in eager anticipation of Monday morning’s launching of The Show, I must remind you of another important broadcast that airs Wednesday night, the night before Halloween, October 30. (Hey they already had it and it was a big hit. You can re-play the event by visiting www.irlonestar.com)

The Players Theatre Company Old Time Radio Hour is going to perform live “The War of The Worlds”, the radio broadcast that was produced and performed by Orson Welles. This is the program that scared the willies out of thousands of people across the country on the same day back in 1938.

And it’s all right here where we live.

(The Mark and Cindy Show has aired for two weeks now.)  Replays can be viewed a
http://irlonestar.com/Show.aspx?ID=121  Please pay a visit. 

End

Mark@rooftopwriter.com & www.rooftopwriter.com & www.irlonestar.com

No comments:

Post a Comment