Sunday, May 12, 2019

back to washington


May 12, 2019
“Supervisor of left wing exit-door”

            GRANDVIEW, WA – This is what Pooh Bear would call a blustery morning. The wind is brisk and out of the west. The tall grass is blowing in every direction. Can’t make up its mind. There’s a baby goat jumping around in the field over yonder just like it had good sense. Kay has named the goat Jumper.” The Snoqualmie Tribe of Washington State would call Kay “Nongee” -- “Namer of New Goats.” -- I’m sticking with “Sweetpea.”

            I’m so glad we got to revisit our family and friends in Washington State. We jumped at the invitation. I think Curt’s words were, “Kay, you’re always welcome here.” I took that as an invite, so here we are. By the way, Curt is my niece Rhonda’s husband. Rhonda is the niece who will actually put up with her Uncle Notha! The Snoqualmie name has to be shouted. It translates – “Not Him again!”

            I would like to say that the flight up here was uneventful, but it had its moments. One of the good moments was when the flight attendant selected me to be in control of the emergency door at the left wing of the plane. I assume she noticed my demeanor of trust and reliability. Either that or she noticed that I was the one seated next to the emergency door by the left wing of the plane.

            I don’t mean to run down the airline, but I don’t think they considered the gravity of the job of emergency door opener. They acted as if any yokel could handle it. I picked up on that when I noticed the guy sitting in the seat next to the emergency door on the right. What a loser.

            The scary thing was that I wasn’t given much direction. I was told to look at the illustration on the back of the seat in front of me to see out how to open the door. The attendant showed me a couple of pamphlets I could read if I wanted. He said there was a video I could watch if I thought it necessary. I told him I was cool with the mission. I did suggest he hand the pamphlets to the guy manning the other door. He just didn’t look up to the task, you ask me.

            Before he left, I whispered to him, “By the way, when do I open this thing?” He told me not to open the door. He looked over at Kay and said, “Ma’am, don’t let him open the door. In fact, change places with him, would you?” I told the attendant that I was just joking. He said he was too.

             Though I was tempted, I never saw the need to open the door. I’m hoping to get to be the emergency door opener again on the flight home. The best thing about the job is that you get an extra six inches of legroom at the emergency door. Of course, we had to pay for those six inches, but the exorbitant rate was worth it.

            My nephew CJ greeted us at the baggage pickup area upon our arrival at SeaTac at 12:40 in the a.m. -- What a great nephew. – I let Kay steer one of the wheeled suitcases, while CJ took charge of the other one. I accepted the task of manually carrying the two take-on bags. I put one of the straps around my neck and carried the other bag in my arms as if I were hauling an overweight child.

            Long story short, Kay fell down the up-escalator. I was as surprised as you. Unbeknownst to us, it requires a bit of careful planning to balance a large piece of wheeled -luggage on a moving step that is headed upward. We were five steps up when Kay’s suitcase slipped off its step, causing her to take a tumble. Although I’m agile as a puma, I also fell. Ended up on top of Kay’s suitcase which was resting on top of her. And get this – we were sliding down the up-escalator. I thought it impossible.

            CJ saved our lives by yelling for someone to push the emergency button at the escalator’s entrance. Had my nephew not reacted so fast, we would’ve ended up in a pile at the bottom where the steps magically appear.  Kay’s hair might’ve gotten caught in the gears and pulled from her head. Heaven knows what would’ve happened to me. Seriously, I have no idea what would’ve happened to me. 

            Fortunately, we didn’t have to find out because CJ saved the day. I couldn’t help thinking that everybody blamed me for not strapping the two carry-on bags to the suitcase and wheeling the thing myself. Then I would’ve been the person at the bottom of the escalator with my nose caught in the gears. Six of one…

            The good news is, Kay only ended up with some scrapes and bruises. It in no way impeded our drive eastward across the mountains to the town of Grandview.  At the moment, Kay is in bed, and I’m sitting out back where I’m being blown by the wind racing across the hills on its journey west. This is the ranch where Rhonda and Curt live with their family of three sons, two daughter’s in law, six grandkids, and five goats… one of which, Kay named Jumper.

            And today? Today, the real fun begins. I’ll tell you about it next time.

end

Contact Mark at hayter.mark@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment