Saturday, April 30, 2022

underrated towns

 

hayter.mark@gmail.com

 



Hayter’s article for April 10, 2022

“Underrated destinations”

          Kay is ready to go on a trip, preferably before summer. There was a time in people’s lives when trips had to be taken in the summer, because of the children. Summers were the only time that kids or teachers could take off for any duration.

        Since Kay and I retired, we refuse to schedule any travel during the summer months. It’s too hot, and there are too many kids running all over the place. I like kids. Always have. That doesn’t mean I enjoy eating in the same restaurants or going to the same places. We simply must schedule a trip before late May. The problem is, we’ve been to all of the worthwhile places in Texas. Texas, being such a large state, has many places that aren’t worth seeing.

     Unfortunately, I reached a point where I don’t care to get too far from the house. There’s no reason to. I like my living room chair, my TV remote, my bed, and my bathroom. But, Kay is in the mood to roam, so I feel it proper to accompany her. It’s for the best.

           Today, I spent time looking at destinations outside of Texas. I managed to find one of about 80 websites that advertised “The Most Underrated Destinations.” The word that grabbed me was “underrated”. Underrated is a word generally associated with the word “affordable”.

          On this particular site, the first place suggested is Tulsa. I couldn’t come up with a single city or town in Oklahoma that anyone might consider being underrated. Let’s face it, places in the Sooner State are generally rated right. Are you familiar with the comment, “It doesn’t get any better than this!” In referencing Oklahoma, the comment would end with a question mark. Hey, I’ve been there, my family has lived there, and I only return for funerals.

          Moving right along, Cleveland, Ohio also made the list of the underrated. For years, Cleveland was known as “Mistake on the Lake”. But today a research group has determined it to be underrated. Take that Lake Erie! There has been some refurbishing going on in C-town. I don’t know what all that entails, but I do know that The Rock ‘n Roll Hall of Fame is in The Cleve. If you’re headed east or west through Ohio, that’d be a good place to visit. The Big Plum also has a Warehouse District, Arts District, and Old Theatre District. I would consider visiting two out of those three if they were closer to home.  

          The only Texas city to be considered as an underrated destination is San Antonio. I like San Antonio. I’d like it a lot better in the winter, but being a teacher at the time, I’ve only visited during the summers. I don’t like San Antonio in the summer. I’m not crazy about Conroe in the summer, but it’s cheaper for me than any other place in Texas. Oh, and I like my bed and restroom in Conroe. I haven’t been to San Antone in a good while. I don’t know how long the River Walk was during my last visit, but, at the moment, it is a 15-mile walk. You ask me, that’s more of an overnight River Cruise.

          Oddly enough, Miami is also considered an underrated destination. It’s known for celebrities, luxurious hotels, and exquisite restaurants. There is also a nearby ocean, with the occasional hurricane, and gang shooting. Of all of those things, the one that keeps me from visiting is the fact that it’s known for its “Conspicuous Over Consumption”. There is nothing I need to over-consume.

          Let’s turn over all the cards and get to the most underrated destination according to the site I visited. The place is called Philadelphia! I said, “Phila—” Oh, you heard me. Let’s see, Philly has the Rocky Statue. I’d like to get a picture of Kay looking up at a giant Rocky. When we were in Claremore, Ok, she got a picture of me looking up at a statue of Will Rogers. The statue is in Claremore, not Tulsa.

But, what say, we stay out of Oklahoma and return to Philadelphia, where you can take free yoga classes at Race Street Pier. That’s as tempting as a free ball-bearing in a Snicker bar. 

For me, the big draw for Philadelphia has to do with its history. In 1789, the  Constitutional Convention was held in a small church building in Philly. The convention was held during the summer. The windows had to be closed because they couldn’t chance anyone listening in on their debates. At one point someone mentioned having a King. If word got out about that, the church building would’ve been burned down with the delegates in it. 

None of this matters, because even the word “underrated” can’t make a place affordable. We’re living in an expensive time. So, that leaves Waco. The good thing about Waco is that it’s close by and the average stay for visitors is one day. 

Kay and I have been there several times and have seen all the town has to offer. Except for the zoo. The Waco Zoo has Galapagos turtles and meerkats. Kay loves stuff like that. So, I’m going to wait for her to get in a better mood and then spring this on her. One of the town’s slogans is “Keep Waco Wacko!” Kay’s gotta love that. – Keep me in your prayers.

end

hayter.mark@gmail.com

 

         

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment