Saturday, May 7, 2022



Hayter’s article for May 1, 2022

“ The Wayback Machine results are in!” 

 

            Yes, the results are in. The findings are in response to my question: “If you could travel back in time, where and when would you like to visit? You are free to go back to any moment in your lifetime or to any event in any century you wish. The only drawback was that you could only be an observer. In other words, you can’t warn Lincoln about Booth.

So here are the results from almost a billion readers. I may find space for 10 of ‘em. Anything beyond that and I’d be making up stuff. Know what I mean? 

Richard Wright would like to be able to be at the Appomattox Courthouse on April 9, 1865, to hear Lee and Grant discuss terms. From what I read it was a cordial meeting, but I’d like to be there with Richard to hear the voice of both men. Richard said that if he couldn’t make it to Appomattox, he’d like to witness the Battle of Midway. I think the best view would be sitting in a lawn chair on the deck of the Japanese flagship Akagi. It was one of three aircraft carriers that were sunk during the battle. I saw a documentary on Midway last week. In truth, there was no safe place to witness the event. 

Ernest Tillman, the eldest of seven siblings, would like to go back to July 1965 when his family was on its way to the “clear green water” of Cypress Creek. I communicated to Ernest that he would likely pass the Hayter family on our way to Deussan Park on Lake Houston. Yep, Ernest would like to return to see his family during one of their best times. Good choice. 

Jane would like to visit both sides of her family around the late 19th century or early 20th. Her Mom and Dad’s families were from different parts of the world. Latvia and Austria were mentioned, as were Pennsylvania and Texas. Yet out of that smorgasbord, her Mom and Dad ended up with eight kids. Among them was Jane. We fail to realize how difficult it is for any one of us to get born. By the way, Jane sent me some great century-old photos of her family. An absolute wonderful view of the good part of yesteryear. 

My friend, Billy Ray Duncan would like to be at the San Jacinto Battleground on the early morning of April 2, 1836, to see Sam Houston and the rest of the “Texians” defeat Santa Anna. Billy Ray knows so much more about Texas history than my teacher did. My seventh-grade teacher told me that when Santa Anna was captured he was dressed as a woman. Billy Ray said that he was dressed as a common soldier. If the other soldiers had quit saluting him, he might’ve got by with the ruse. Billy Ray’s enthusiasm helped him acquire a brain-load of knowledge on Texas history. People are always getting him mixed up with Sam Houston. That’s the figure Billy Ray has often impersonated at historical reenactments. Oh, and you’d only get him mixed up if he were in his costume. Without it, Billy Ray looks more like President William Henry Harrison. 

Patricia L. Hummel would like to go back to the time of Jesus, so she could see and hear Him as he preaches, teaches, and performs miracles. That was my first thought, too. Just to see and hear how he looked and sounded would be a gift. I’d have to ask him to speak English, though. Of course, that would take a miracle. No problem. 

Speaking of major subject changes, Pat Carter would like to “be at New York’s Kennedy Airport on February 7, 1964, and get ready to scream [her] lungs out as the Beatles arrive on American soil.” Oddly enough, Pat’s choice didn’t even make it on my Top Million list. Pat said her first choice was seeing Jesus but feared I’d think it might generate controversy. Hey, Diet Root Beer can create controversy. 

Kathleen Brown wishes to travel back to 1961, so she can thank her third-grade teacher, Miss Mount and remedial reading teacher Mrs. Van Wagnor. Miss Mount was Kathleen’s first teacher who recognized her as being dyslexic. Miss Mount had her visit Mrs.Wagnor on occasion for tutoring.  Kathleen and her parents were unfamiliar with dyslexia, as was most of society back in ’61. Kathleen wrote, “I would like to thank Miss Mount and Mrs. Van Wagoner in my adult person, but with a child’s heart and a child’s voice of gratitude.” – I can remember when I was in elementary school, how slow-readers were taunted. Another reason to reevaluate the “good ol’ days”.) 

Forester, Bob Harper “would like to go back to Egypt when they were building the pyramids.” He said, “I would like to know how they did that.” Bob, I think you’re going to find a few flying saucers and space aliens that have small heads and long arms doing most of the lifting. That’s my explanation.

Brad Meyer would like to go back to January 16, 1968. That was the day after his 16th birthday when he took and passed his driver’s license test. Bradly said, “I was finally mobile and able to expand my geographic footprint with impunity.” Get it? Before that day he was receiving “punity” for driving. Right now, he’s leaving quite the footprint while playing racquetball with me. 

Rob Shurell wants to jump into the Wayback Machine and go back at least 17,000 years to the Lascaux Cave in France so he can watch the cave dwellers paint “the ancient and wonderful animal drawings that cover the walls.” -- Lascaux Cave was my third choice. I can certainly see how a person of art could glean much from such a visit. Those paintings are better than the vast majority of all other wall paintings that were drawn thousands of years later. You ask me, extraterrestrials are the ones who first settled in France. The French are such rascals. --Next week we’ll be back from the past. Rob Shurell wants to jump into the Wayback Machine and go

 hayter.mark@gmail.com

 

“I would like to thank everyone who participated in this project. And, I’d like to apologize for having to leave out so much of the information you offered. The boss was kind to let me include as much as I did.” mh

end

hayter.mark@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment