Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Weird Day


“Denist, Jehovah Witnesses and Smoothies"

OUT BACK -- Do you know what cottage cheese does to your body? Do you? I don’t either, but that is the question that led to me sitting out here. It’s part of this unsettling day.

It started early this morning with a visit to the dentist where I got a bunch of goop stuffed into my mouth. I was getting fitted for what’s called a hugger bridge. A hugger bridge is a removable contraption that fills the gap left by a missing tooth or teeth. I used to have a permanent bridge in the gap, but it came unbridged by a Breakfast on a Bun from Whataburger. The story cuts to the heart, so I’m not retelling it.

While at the dentist, it took multiple mouthfuls of quick dry cement to get all the settings required to make the hugger. -- “Okay, Mark, don’t move your head, mouth or cheek, and breathe through your nose. By the way, have you and Kay gone on any trips this summer?”

When I got home from the dentist, I decided to eat leftover frozen pizza. Kay wasn’t hungry. The timer on the oven had five more minutes when the doorbell rang. It was the Jehovah Witness ladies. They visit Kay once a week around lunchtime. Kay and I are not Jehovah Witnesses, but Kay enjoys talking with the ladies. They like Kay. Everybody likes Kay.

While the ladies sat at the table, I hid in my study with my pizza drying out in the oven. After about 15 minutes, I decided it was time for me to make a fool of myself. I interrupted the session announcing that Kay and I were devout Christians who just had a different take from Jehovah Witnesses on some of the less obvious points of scripture.

I’ve got to tell you, there is no arguing with three Jehovah Witnesses. You would have more luck with two white shirted, bicycle-riding Mormon young men marching up to your door in Bellsnap, Nebraska. I used to thank God that I wasn’t a Mormon, ‘cause I just couldn’t handle the thought of knocking doors in Peoria in an attempt to win over unsuspecting Second Baptists in central Illinois.

At this point, I feel it necessary to tell you that I like Jehovah Witnesses, Mormons, Episcopalians, Pentecostals… any religious group that doesn’t want to hurt or pester me. I realize that there would be absolutely no arguments on religion if God had only refused mankind the right to choose.  When given a choice, humans go ape. Regardless of what we read, we don’t all read into it the same thing. Even atheists don’t agree on what’s going on.

The three ladies didn’t hate me when they left. I hugged them each right there in the kitchen. They’ll be back next week. I’ll probably be busy weeding Kay’s garden. In spirit.

After lunch, Kay went to her art class, That girl is so gifted. I can’t wait to see how good an artist she is with lessons. While she was gone, I took a nap. A short nap. The doorbell rang just as I got into the dream about going to the dentist in my underwear.

I hated the dream, but hated answering the door even more. But, thinking it may be the Jehovah Witness ladies bringing me a fruit cake, I went to the door only to find a salesman with a special on pest control. His company was spraying the entire neighborhood at the ridiculous price of $50 a residence, and wanted to sign me up. His spray even killed insects with backbones. For whatever reason, that seemed to be a selling feature. I filled the guy’s water bottle and sent him on his way.

After that, I checked my e-mails and noticed a pop-up ad that showed an open carton of cottage cheese with the question “Do you know what cottage cheese does to your body?” Truth be told, I’ve got enough worries as it is without stewing over the effects of cottage cheese consumption. 

I then left my study and made myself a mango smoothie. I’ve gotten into fruit smoothies… and no, I don’t want to know what they’re doing to my body. After the smoothie, my body felt cooler, so I decided to sit on the back porch. And that’s when you walked up. There’s only one rule out here today. Anyone who mentions how hot it is must go home.

By the way, I’m glad you're here. I need to backup on something I told you last week. When I mentioned that my niece has a phone that not only will locate my phone, but will tell me how fast it’s traveling. What I meant to say was “It will NOT tell  her how fast I’m traveling.” When a reader, Wanda,  asked me about that, I got in touch with my niece who told me that she was only joking when she told me I was speeding. She could discern my progress, but not my exact speed. So that takes care of that.

Okay, now, let’s take a look at the birdbath. I bet that water is 102 degrees. – What? You’re leaving? Too hot? No, don’t go! I’ve got enough frozen mango for maybe two more smoothies. Anyone? – Well, that’s just ducky. Talk about an an unsettling day! And, it’s only half over. --  I might as well go inside. It’s too hot out here. – Next time.  

end
           
Mark can be contacted at hayter.mark@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment