Friday, June 15, 2018

Avengers review


“Avengers Get Raked”

            I took a short survey last week to see how many people could remember the last movie they went to see. When I asked Big Al, he said, “The War Wagon.” My kid brother was 11 when the movie came out, so I took his answer to be sarcasm. Al is the bi-lingual brother. 

            Jill had trouble remembering the last movie she saw because she goes to the movie a lot. She has one of those $10 a month cards that allows her to see all the movies she wants. Jill goes to the movies no less than eight times a month, for a savings around $60. Her visits to the concession stand cost her about $267. More or less.

            My survey ended with Jill, because she started telling everybody about one of her favorite movies of the year– “Avengers: Infinity War.” Jill said it had some funny parts and a lot of action. She said she wants to see it again. I swallowed Jill’s movie review like a fist full of popcorn.

            The day after Jill’s review, suggested Kay and I take my niece and nephew, Rhonda and Curt, to Market Street, The Woodlands to see the Avengers. Unbeknownst to me, the Market Street theatre has been revamped with those big lounge chairs with enough leg-room to make it impossible to trip the people trying to get by.

            I believe it was Archimedes who proved that bigger seats and more leg-room lessen the number of sitting places available in a room. With fewer places to sit, theatres have turned to a system whereby seats can be reserved on-line. I knew something like this was going to happen, I just hoped I would be dead when it did. I can’t win for losing.

            Not to worry, I figured out how to pick out seats from a chart and pay for ‘em on line. It took several tries to get it right, so I ended up getting eight tickets instead of four. Several minutes later, I learned how to cancel four of eight tickets, proving that the program is geared for the technologically challenged.

            So, we were off to the movie where I presented a kid a weird coded square that I had printed off from the theatre’s website. I paid for Rhonda and Curt’s tickets because they didn’t care enough to see the movie to get the tickets themselves. Once at the theatre, I refused to buy their popcorn and drinks. I’m wise as an ostrich.

            In the remaining time we have together, I’m going give you my review of “Avengers: Infinity War.” Let me begin by saying that superhero stories are much easier to write than other action dramas, because you can kill off characters, blow up planets, turn the good guy into a blood thirsty monster, and then come up with a magic rock, ring or rhyme that will turn everything back to the way it was. That being said, the writer(s) of the Avengers screenplay took me beyond my ability to give a hoot.

            Which brings me to a SPOILER ALERT! If you have not seen the movie, and you don’t want to know the ending, skip down till you see a sentence at the end of a paragraph that reads “...half of all life in the universe turns to ashes.” Pick up reading at the next paragraph. I’ll give you a few seconds to bail. – Okay, I’m assuming the rest of you have either seen the movie or don’t intend to. So, let’s cut to the quick.

            Am I right in thinking that the villain, Josh Brolin -- I mean Thanos -- wants to destroy half of the life in the universe because he doesn’t think there are enough resources to maintain all of the “beings” in the universe? Was that his reason for going all ballistic?

            I may be wrong here, because I missed some of the talking scenes. When I see 20 minutes of non-stop action followed by five minutes of dialog, I tend to nap. Kay had to wake me up three times during the talking scenes. I think she would’ve graciously let me sleep had I not been snoring.

            I may be over thinking this, but when Thorax, I mean Thanos, kills off half of the Avengers and half of all life in the universe, that makes everything that happened before that, moot. And that, my friend, makes for the worst ending of any movie I’ve ever seen. And, I saw “No Country for Old Men!”

            Not to fear, in “Infinity War II” everything is going to be made right by some magic rock, ring or rhyme. Or perhaps Superman will visit from DC Comics and turn back time by making all of the galaxies in the universe turn in the opposite direction so Thor can go back and hit Thorax in the face instead of the chest with his magic axe.

            It matters not to me, because, unless my sense of reality leaves and fails to return, I’ll not be watching Infinity II. I’d come closer to watching “Titanic II: The Infinity Ship.”   
end

You can purchase Mark's new e-book -- "The Summer of 1976" at Amazon Books.  Only $2.99! I'm not kidding!
Mark can be contacted at hayter.mark@gmail.com. An archive of Hayter’s articles can be found at http://markhayterscolumn.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment