Friday, June 15, 2018

darling jackass


“The pulse of the neighborhood”
 

            OUT BACK – Give me a second and I’ll be right with you. I’m trying to find my pulse. I’ve been at it for three minutes. Nothing. If I were the Coroner, I’d have to declare me dead at 7:52 p.m.

            Beg your pardon? Oh, I was watching one of those cop shows where a guy squatted down next to a man lying in the street. The officer felt of the guy’s wrist for about three seconds before saying, “He’s dead.” I decided to see how long it would take me to determine if I was alive. It’s been three minutes and I’m still dead.

            Seems to me the best way to determine if I’m dead would be to stick a pin in my arm, or tickle the roof of my mouth with my toothbrush, or, heaven forbid, have someone sing Captain and Tennille's “Muskrat Love.” Any of those would get a pretty quick reaction from a live me.

            Speaking of 7:52 in the p.m., have you noticed how long the days are getting? Well you need to start. Each day will be little longer than the last up until June 21. No, Matt, that’s not the Fourth of July. That’s the first day of summer, at which point each day begins to get a little shorter until December 21. No, Thelma, that’s not Christmas… unless you live in Canada. (I made that up.)  That’s the first day of winter, after which the days start getting longer.

            By the way, Monday is Victoria Day in Canada. I believe that’s when you can go to the mall and sit on the lap of an old lady who looks like Queen Victoria, and tell her what you wish you had gotten for Christmas the previous year. O’ Canada.

            What’s that? No, it’s not the rifle range. Well, some of it is, but most of the pops are coming from nail guns being used on the houses on the next road over. This subdivision is booming… and popping. The nail gun is considered, by most carpenters, to be the best invention since the hammer-holder on overalls. Before that, they had to stick the claws of their hammers on their bibs. Faris Hayter was a carpenter for a good while, so I know stuff. – Beg pardon? Well, yes, he had a good sense of humor. What does that have to do with anything?

            Hold it a second, Kay’s coming out. – Hi, darling! No, I’m just working on a grocery list. – She’s out here to check her flower garden. Right now, she’s headed for our blackberry bushes. You’d think they were planted in an Arizona rock garden. Just something else I have to mow around.  – Excuse me a second.  -- Sweatpea, I need to show you something! It’s important.”—Here she is. Sober up.

            “Guess what? I just found one red berry.” – “We must have Virginia and Freeman over to share our bounty! Here, have a seat.” – “Why? What are you going to do to me?” – “It’s just an experiment, Sugarplum. I need to find proof that you’re alive.” – “If you had pulled weird stunts like this when were dating, you would’ve ended up married to that girl with the dimples. What was her name?” – “Sugar Smacks, when you walked into my life, I forgot all others. Now sit down and hand me your wrist.”

M: “As I expected, you’re dead. Wait a minute, I feel a song coming on. ‘Muskrat Suzie, Muskrat Sam, Do the jitterbug at a Muskrat Land.’” Hmm, no, you're dead all right. --  
K:  “Captain and Tennille? Really? You’re feeling in the wrong place. Feel right here.”  
M: “Sweetie, it is impossible for the dead person to help the guy who’s looking for a pulse. But, if you insist, I will try your neck using with both my hands.” –  
K: Okay, my darling jack ass, that's about enough of this."  
M: “Well, I can't just leave you dead!” – 
K:  “Have you been taking your pills, Jaw Man?” –  
M: “Well, I did miss an antibiotic.” – 
K: “I’ll go get you one.”

            Once she realizes she has no pulse, she’s gonna hit the floor. Oh, about Jaw Man? Last Friday I had some dental work done as a result of losing my bridge on the way to Waco... which, incidentally, is the title of a new song sung by Kenny Chesney.

            Turns out the dentist couldn’t make a mold for my new bridge because the two teeth the old bridge set on were decayed. One of ‘em had to be pulled. The root on that tooth must’ve been wrapped around one of my ribs. When the dentist has to get leverage by propping his knee on your chest, you’re in trouble. I don’t know how many times he had to grab the inside of my cheek and give me a shot into my gums. The right side of my jaw is still numb. I won’t be able to whistle until Christmas... in Canada.

            Wow, those nail guns are really getting after it, aren’t they. Fortunately, our house is so well insulated that it stifles most outside noises. Unfortunately, the music the guy a few houses down plays every weekend is horrible. Why do people do that? Don’t they know that there are others on this planet? By the way, I don't know if you've noticed, but some rap songs have really bad language in 'em.

            Well, I guess it could be worse. We could be living across the street from a volcano. And that, my friend, is one of the chief reasons Kay married me. Regardless of the circumstances, I choose to focus on the positive.  – Beg pardon? Of course, I’m joking.

end

Mark can be contacted at hayter.mark@gmail.com. An archive of Hayter’s articles can be found at http://markhayterscolumn.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment