Sunday, April 14, 2019

Appendix attack


April 14, 2019
Appendix surgery and so much more

            Gas is good. It’s why most of this world is a better place than all the other worlds that don’t have any gas. But, if you have gas, it’s bad. It can be the worst thing you’ve ever experienced. A number of you have gone to the doctor for kidney stones, gallstones, appendicitis and gunshot wounds, only to find out you had gas.

            How silly did you feel? On a scale of 1 to 10, how silly? Well, I’m here to tell you that I’m in the hospital, I’ve got gas, and if anyone asks again “On a scale of 1 to ten, how do you feel?” I will light up. Fortunately, unlike some of you, I didn’t go to the hospital and find out what I had was gas. I went to the hospital to learn that to cure what I had would result in me getting gas. 

            It hit me on a Friday and my heart stood still. A do run, run, run . (I’m on some serious meds here.) Friday morning, the 12th of April,  I woke up with a pain in my right side. Since it only hurt when I moved or touched my side, I didn’t take it all that seriously.

            It was when nausea set in Saturday morning that Kay decided to take me to the emergency room. There were a lot of sick people in the emergency room that morning and they each had their own story.

            That was five days ago, and I’m still here. What happened was I was wheeled out of the emergency room to pre-op, where a doctor told me I needed an emergency appendectomy. Normal procedures. Hundreds, maybe billions of ‘em done each day, just not all by him. It will take him maybe 90 minutes. I saw about 5 other doctors and 12 qualified nursing staff. I don’t know how many other people got signed on while I was unconscious.
           
             I woke up in post-op about five hours later. Post-op looked so much like the pre-op that I thought it was the same place. I was going to share my discovery, but I didn’t get a chance before  Kay and the doctor came through the door. I had never seen a doctor that quickly after a procedure. Bottom line: the appendix got removed, but when looking through his scope at an area away from my appendix the doc spied a place on my small intestine that shouldn’t have been there.

            What he did after that was cut from my navel to the netherworld, reached in, and started pulling until he had felt every inch of my small intestines. He located two areas that he removed and sent to the lab. The results came in a few minutes ago, and one area was benign and the other was a nonaggressive, low-grade cancer. Next week I get a PET scan to make sure there’s nothing else happening.

            Now my only problem is to get my waste delivery system to deliver. I’m not allowed to eat anything of substance. I can have beef, vegetable, or chicken broth, Jello, or a popsicle. Other than that, I can eat all the ice I want. So, my job is to prove that my intestines can digest real food without me actually eating any food. It’s looking like I may spend the remainder of my near-sane life in this hospital.

            I didn’t think I’d need any help the first night I was here, so I sent Kay home. I was pretty drugged, so I figured I’d sleep all night. – You’re not going to believe this next part, but it’s true. – Time stands still in this hospital. I can put water in my CPAP sleeping machine, turn it on, put my mask on and lay there for three hours. Then wake up to find that only four minutes have passed.

            Jill will back me up on this. My kid sister stayed with me the second night. Even saved my life a couple of times. I was just getting things mixed up. You know, tugging on the wrong wire. It’s all about wires here. Which wire to attach to which arm. Which wire goes with which bag. And everything has a buzzer on it

            Big Al was with me for the last two nights. Al is more efficient than any of the nurses. He doesn’t know as much as they do, but he’s more efficient. He anticipates everything. When I make a move, he immediately sees what it’s going to lead to, so he stops me. “No, Mark. The big device strapped around your neck does not operate the TV. Nobody knows what that piece of equipment does. So, take this device. Don’t push the button with the nurse's picture on it, or you’ll get the nurse. It’s the one under the nurse to the left. By the way, it’s time to walk, so get ready to be manhandled out of bed. And, don’t touch anything.”

            Tonight I’m staying by myself again. I have a mission. I am going to do everything I can to make sure I go to the bathroom… short of eating food. I don’t know where that’s going to take me or if I’m going to like what I find. But, something is going to be true that’s not true now. If not, then there’s every indication that I’m in the Hotel California.
 
end
You can contact Mark  hayter.mark@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment