Sunday, April 7, 2019

Contest judging


April 7, 2019
“Judging the Judges of Project Runway..."



            Oh, howdy. I’m sorry to make you wait. Just as I was about to start writing, Kay yelled at me to come watch the finals of “Project Runway” with her. I’ve occasionally gotten myself trapped into watching one of her dog shows or dog-cooking shows, so she hoped to get me interested in dress design. One might think I’m being controlled.

            You know why she did that, don’t you? It’s because of the time when she suckered me into watching a hair-styling competition. It was a contest to determine which of about a dozen beauticians was the best. Fascinating. At least it was up until the episode where each contestant was asked to groom a dog. I missed the next couple of episodes because I was so upset. I sure wouldn’t go to a barber who placed first in a dog grooming contest. One of the contestants let it be known that he was insulted by the challenge. He did it anyway, but his heart wasn’t in it. Neither was the dog’s. Dogs can pick up on a person’s vibe. So can flies. They act like everyone is out to get ‘em.     

            Apparently, Kay told my three brothers about me watching a series on hair-styling. Larry said, “I am sure glad that mother didn’t live long enough to find this out.” After that humiliating experience, I began watching macho competitions. Boxing, weightlifting, who-can-throw-the-telephone-pole-the-farthest… that kind of stuff. The stuff I do not enjoy watching. However, I hung in there for a few weeks, because I knew if one of my brothers kicked off, the first thing they’d do when they got to heaven is tell Dad about my interest in hairstyling. There are a few people I would be a little leery of, even in heaven. I fear that attitude might just prevent my entrance.

            I eventually started watching “Forged in Fire,” the series where four guys compete to design and forge the best sword.  In each challenge, they’re given a particular type of sword to make. You know, a Samari or saber or cutlass. They’re graded on stuff like the sharpness of the weapon, the strength of the blade, the feel of the handle, and the design of the guard. – Beg your pardon, Maxine? Right. That sticky-out part that keeps the swordsman from losing his hand is called a “hilt,” not a guard. As in, “I am taxed to the hilt.” – Property taxes. Don’t get me started.

            Where was I? Oh, I enjoyed the first few episodes of “Forged in Fire.” The task of sword-making is a humdinger. As if I need to watch more programming about stuff I’m incapable of doing. To be honest – and I have great respect for honesty – I have yet to find any competitive event at which I would not embarrass myself. And, what’s crazy—You wanna know what’s crazy? I really believe that I’d be a good judge of almost any competitive event… except for soccer, hockey, basketball, sculling, volleyball, cat-grooming, and polka dancing. I’m good with all the rest.

            Even with no training, I have been chosen to judge BBQ brisket, cakes, ice cream, honey, chili, and stuff “that deep down, you don’t talk about at parties. You want me on that wall! You need me on that wall!” – Sorry about that. I utilize any opportunity I can find to deliver those lines. Point is, I’m a good judge of stuff… except for honey. There were at least a dozen entries too many.

            I’m telling you all that to tell you this, I would be a good judge on “Project Runway.” Those, so called, “EXPERTS” are apparently looking for the best clown suits. If you want to win that competition, you need to make a piece of clothing that no one would be caught dead in. One designer created a dress that looked like a giant bursting balloon that still managed to maintain its shape. The judges were all over it. “It’s genius!” -- “So much better than anything we saw last week!” – Unless you’ve got an invitation to the premiere of “Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland” you could not possibly find a place to wear it.

             “Runway” had pretty much the same format as the hair-cutting show, just not as much dog grooming.  In the finals, each of the four remaining clothing designers had four days to design and make six different outfits, with a cohesive theme. One guy made six outfits with a reptilian theme. He got fourth place.


            A Polish designer got second place. The gentleman got so choked up before the revealing of his collection that he was unable to relate the theme of his outfits. I defy anyone to identify the theme without making up a load of crabcakes. The judges went nuts. Each of the emaciated models had her hair made up to look as if a two-inch rod was coming out of the top of her head.

            Again, the judges went all gaga over what they saw. The East European guy was even more complimentary of himself than the judges. When it was announced that he got second place, he said that the lady who won did not deserve the title. That her designs “didn’t come close to looking as exquisite as his.” Had he been given fourth place, I fear he might’ve stabbed a judge with one of his models.

            Let’s face it, any contest the outcome of which is determined by someone’s opinion is ripe for argument. That’s why I prefer to be one of three to five judges in any food competition. That way I can say I voted for whoever it is that’s upset. Of course, I don’t want that shared with anyone in my family. God may forgive me, but my brothers will still tell Mom and Dad. Oh, yes they will.
           
end
You can contact Mark  hayter.mark@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment