Sunday, April 28, 2019

Recovery


April 28, 2019 
“Try Meditation”

No, no, don’t get up. Everybody keep your seats. I’m well on the road to recovery and require no assistance. I’ll just stand here until one of you jake-legs gets up and lets me have the recliner.

            Ah, that’s better. Now, about last week’s article. Who can remember? I sure can’t. I intended to write about being in the hospital after having an appendectomy and a physical inspection of a 20-foot length of wet rope called “my small intestines.” The surgeon saw a couple of things attached to my intestines that didn’t belong, so removed ‘em, right after yanking my appendix. If I hadn’t been asleep at the time, I would’ve fought that man tooth and nail.

            Because of the surgeon’s discovery, I had to visit an oncologist this afternoon. Until a few years ago, I thought an oncologist was a person who played a particular wind instrument in an orchestra. I’ve learned so much over the years. Anyway, in a few weeks, the doctor is going to fill me with a bunch of dye, and then shoot me with a bazillion protons that will light up any cancerous areas. I asked him if my brain would be part of the area tested. He said it wouldn’t, and then asked why I asked.

            I came up with a couple of sarcastic comebacks. – “I wanted to know if it would be a waste of time for me to learn to play the guitar.” or “I was hoping you could tie into the part of my brain that remembers where all of our lost spoons ended up. However, while I’ve seen several good comedians that came out of India, I thought it a bad time to test the good doctor’s fondness for levity. So, I told him I was concerned about Alzheimer's… even though I’m not.

            Well, actually, I am a little concerned. I just don’t want to know if I’ve got it. If I were told I was in the first stage of Alzheimer’s, I would immediately skip through to phase eight. If the doctor informed me a week later that his diagnosis was in error, he would discover that I had already fulfilled his diagnosis. I once got a kidney stone after hearing a guy describe his kidney stone experience. My body is so easily influenced.

            After I mentioned Alzheimer’s, the doctor told me that there are ways to curtail Alzheimer’s. Eat more vegetables and less meat. -- He sounded like the owner of a Chinese buffet. -- He suggested I tax my brain with puzzles and the like, and get plenty of rest. -- I mean exercise. I always get those two mixed up.

            Then the doctor recommended meditation. Seek the place in your mind that produces mental clarity and emotional comfort. If the doctor had the time, I would’ve told him about what all my brain uncovered while I was in the hospital.
             
            I didn’t care about reading, writing or watching TV. I wasn’t even a big fan of answering questions. -- “Mr. Hayter, would you care to sit in the chair by the window?” – I had no idea. There was no comfort to be found anywhere in my room. But in my brain? Oh, yeah, there’s plenty of stuff in there.

            I’m fairly sure the meds had something to do with the mental images that often appeared when I shut my eyes. On several occasions,  I saw the smiling faces of people I didn’t even know. They just stared for a moment, and then disappeared, only to be replaced by another charming soul.

            The same thing happened with scenes of various landscapes, some familiar, most not so much. I could scan an entire panorama with my eyes shut. Normally, when my mind displays a scene, I never get to focus on individual objects. If I try, the scene disappears right before my closed eyes. However, while in the hospital, the scenes allowed me to look around.

            The best of all moments occurred while I was sleeping. I think they’re called dreams, but these were super special dreams. As I’ve mentioned more than once, my dreams stink on ice. The worst-case scenario occurs in every one of my dreams. Whether I’m teaching, driving, shopping, or at church, something horrible happens. Each time when I wake up, I’m so relieved to find it only a dream.

            However, while in the hospital, each dream was a peach. I kid you not, my mind was creating some fascinating stories. During the happenings, I tried to make mental notes about everything. Each dream was a novel or movie yet to be created. And the dialog was exceptional. Of course, upon awakening, I had lost a great deal of each story. I thought about creating a montage of the occurrences, but I’m not a fan of the montage. I don’t even like the word montage. So, what say we quit repeating it?

While the drug-induced meditation and dreams were a good side effect of my hospital visit, I’ve come to grips with the thought that everything about my stay was helpful. Poet Maya Angelou once wrote, “You are the sum total of everything you've ever seen, heard, eaten, smelled, been told, forgot - it's all there.”

So, had my health issue not occurred, I’d be less of a person. As is, I’ve seen fire and I’ve seen rain. But I didn’t see any lonely times when I could not find a friend. That’s one of the lessons learned from pain. I don’t know what I did to deserve all of the cards, visits, prayers, and well wishes, but each is now a part of the sum total of me. Blessed is what I am. 
       
end
You can contact Mark  hayter.mark@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment