Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Bad Ju Ju


Hayter article for June 7, 2020
“The Mysterious Pie Day”

           
            The fifth greatest feeling a suburbanite can have occurs immediately after he or she has mowed the lawn, weeded around everything that’s been stationary for over a month, and edged along the sidewalk, driveway, and porch. I just finished doing all of that. Ask me how I feel.

            Before I get carried away, I must confess that Kay is the one who mows the lawn. Hey, she enjoys doing it. We’ve got a good self-propelled mower that will be even better when Amazon sends me the air filter and spark plug I ordered back in April. I’d go to Home Depot and get ‘em myself, but as soon as I did, my order would mysteriously show up. While I don’t believe in fate, I do believe in bad juju. That stuff is all over the place.

            Take Kay’s rolling pin. Yesterday, Kay decided to make a combo cherry and peach pie. I didn’t know it was possible, but I was on board. Kay gets in a pie-making mood in early June every four years. I do not fault her one bit. Marie Calender’s Razzleberry Pie is my preference, but Kay was all gung-ho to pie-bake, so I was the encourager. Kay had cherries, peaches, and Pilsbury’s refrigerated crust. What she didn’t have was her rolling pin. I couldn’t be bothered, because I was busy using a narrow, plastic straw to de-pit cherries. You ought to try that someday.

            After the cherry pit massacre, I hid in my study. I was working on a project when I heard Kay ask me if I knew where her “shisipim” was. -- Do you remember me telling you that Kay can’t yell. She’s incapable of screaming, hollering, or even raising her voice more than a quarter octave. (In physics, a quarter octave is called -- “not much”.) That’s a good thing… until Kay tries to communicate with me from another part of our modest-sized home. When she has something to tell me, she verbalizes it with no apparent concern as to where I might be located. I would get after her for that, but I’ve been told I’ve got my own foibles.

            So, I left my computer and went to the kitchen to ask Kay to repeat herself. -- “Oh, I didn’t mean for you to come in here.” -- I get a twitch on the right side of my face when she says stuff like that. -- She then asked me where I put her rolling pin. Where I put it? -- I asked her if she was looking for the plastic one or the hand-crafted wooden one. She said the wooden one, which was good because I had tossed her plastic one into the recycle bin back in November of 2018. It’s now near the bottom of the recyclable landfill.

            I summoned up all my courage and told her that I had moved her wooden rolling pin because it was always rolling around in the cabinet. I put it in a place that was easy to remember, only I couldn’t remember where the place was. Not to worry. I would find it.

             I looked all over the house. Got out a step ladder to look above the cabinets in the kitchen and in each closet. I even looked in the box where she keeps the Christmas wrapping paper, thinking I might have stuffed it inside one of the cardboard rolls. (I kid you not.)

            May I remind you that Kay will go four years without needing a rolling pin? Still, she made sure to remind me that the pin was made by Gene Gore, our friend at church, the greatest wood craftsman there ever was and ever will be. (I borrowed that from “The Natural”.)  After a couple of tedious hours, Kay gave me a strained smile and told me that she wasn’t mad, she was just upset. There’s apparently a slight difference between the two. I assured her that I would get up early and look in the garage and storage shed for the pin. She told me not to worry, that it would show up when it was ready. I had trouble sleeping that night. The last time I looked at the clock it was 3:30 in the a.m.

            When I woke up I went to the kitchen for toast. I wanted to have something on my stomach before attacking the garage.  After I got out a piece of bread, I opened the drawer to get a new twist tie -- because the one that’s on the bread disappears every single, blab-spitting’ time I get out a piece of bread. -- I apologize for that outburst. -- When I opened the drawer, I had to move the rolling pin out of the way to get to the twist ties. I’m not joking! The rolling pin was in plain sight looking right at me. Not only that, but it appeared to be smirking.


            I don’t know how many times Kay and I had looked in that drawer the previous day. And there is absolutely no telling how many times we had been in the drawer during the 13 months since I “hid” the rolling pin there.

            You won’t believe this, but I occasionally exaggerate. It happens, but not very often. -- What? No, I heard something. -- Anyway, I am not making this rolling pin story up. There were some mysterious goings-on in our last house, and it’s apparently followed us here. It doesn’t frighten me, but, just once, it would be nice if whatever it is would prank me by weeding, edging, and mowing the lawn. -- But noooo! I get the “bad” juju.

end

hayter.mark@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment