Thursday, June 4, 2020

Time for a psychiatrist

This has nothing that relates to the article. I just liked the view. 


Hayter article for May 31, 2020
“Tales from the Backside”

            My heart used to sink whenever a few of my high school seniors proudly informed me that they planned to major in psychology. Even though at the time I didn’t see much of a need for psychologists, I tried to sound encouraging… unless they went on to say that they planned to minor in philosophy.

            Let us flash forward. If I had it to do over, I would consider getting a degree in psychology. I think I can safely say that there has never been a greater demand for psychologists than there is now. -- Beg pardon? Yes, psychiatrists even more so. They’re the ones who can prescribe drugs, aren’t they?

            You would have to agree that I am one of the most mentally stable persons I know. I’m cool, calm, and kind. I’ve even been told that, at times, I displayed a hint of patience. Unfortunately, that hasn’t happened recently. I am at my rope’s end, and there is no room to tie a knot and hang on.

            Don’t say anything to Kay, but she is beginning to bug me. She’s not as nice and understanding as she used to be. I don’t know the last time she tactfully asked me something. -- “Darling, would you please pick up the peanuts around your chair?” I used to get a lot of that stuff. Polite and cordial. I deal with that, But now I get, “Sweetheart, would you mind awfully finding just one item you came home with that was actually on the shopping list?”

            What do you do with a comment like that? Any other husband would’ve unloaded. Not, Mark Atticus Hayter. I always go with the truth. “Sweetpea, I lost your list and my mask while searching for the perfect watermelon in a bin that could’ve held a pod of orcas.”

            Along with Kay’s mood change, I’m finding it difficult to trust myself in decision making. In fact, let me just tell you upfront, were I you, I would suspend making any big decision until after this whole pandemic thing is behind us. I’ve been thinking about us selling both our cars that have 31 years between them, and buying a 2020 model of something good. That would enable us to acquire a monthly car payment beyond that which Teacher Retirement could even supplement. Fortunately, Kay threw a hissy fit over my idea.

            So, my advice, don’t make any big purchases. Don’t plan on a move to Alaska, or buying a new home somewhere west of town. Stay completely away from Amazon. Whatever you do, do not buy a couple of rottweilers, unless you have a herd of bovine you can feed ‘em.

            I’ll have you know that at this moment there are three boxed, high-quality toilet seats in this house. I didn’t intend to buy them but the thought hit while I was passing by the toilet aisle.  The seats that came with the house are touted as being “easy to take off”. They are. They’ll even take off while you’re sitting on ‘em. It never bothered me because I know how to slide ‘em back on. It was our guests who started complaining. I figured I could either replace the toilet seats or stop inviting people over. I decided to stop inviting people over.

            However, while in Home Depot I had a change of heart. I’m glad that Dad was not alive to find out that his number three son paid $120 for three toilet seats. He would’ve “come up-glued.” He liked that old adage. Regardless, sometime between now and the Fourth of July 2023, I’ll have those seats mounted. I mean installed. It was a frivolous buy, but I’ve put it behind me.

            Another thing sending me to the edge is my health. It’s shot. Kay edited out the part about my hemorrhoids, so I’m going with the kidney stones. I’ve passed more stones than kids in a clod fight. Last weekend was my most recent attack. All I had to work with were the eight pain pills that my doctor prescribed back in ‘06. They were weak as all get out. The “fast care” places recommended I go to the emergency room. I preferred having Kay just kill me.  

            I never did pass that stone, but after standing on my head a few times, it moved to a less painful locale. I feared it was too large to pass, so I ended up getting a CT scan along with an appointment with my urologist. Low and behold, the doctor could find no stone in either kidney. He said my kidneys were in better shape than he had ever seen ‘em. I couldn’t believe it. I don’t believe it. While he was still looking at the computer screen, I pointed out an odd-shaped object and jokingly asked if it was related to the topic Kay doesn’t want me to mention.

            The doc told me that my CT scan wouldn’t have picked that up. That’s what he called it. “That.” I ended up sharing that experience with Brad Meyer, but only because he was foolish enough to ask how I was doing. After I told him of my discussion with my urologist, he suggested I write an article about it and title it “Tales from the Backside.”

            And that, my faithful reader, is what I’m talking about. Events are pushing me closer and closer to a session with a psychologist. The only thing keeping me from going now is my fear of getting an appointment with one of my ex-students. After telling her my problems, I have every confidence that she will recommend I see a psychiatrist.

end

hayter.mark@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment