Monday, May 11, 2020

Desk assembly


Hayter article for January 19, 2020
“Too Much Desk”

          There is a big box leaning against the wall in the garage. “Big deal”, you say. Yes, it is. It’s a big and heavy deal. And I’m the one who has to deal with it.

            You know how people are always exaggerating about the weight of something.  Especially their own weight. An acquaintance recently told me she wore a size two. While I don’t really understand women’s sizes, I do have a fairly good grasp of the law of probabilities. If she wore a size two it was back when she was in the second grade.

            For whatever reason, clothing size, gas mileage, one’s infrequency of television viewing, and the weight of an object you’re trying to pick up, each will be exaggerated. I told you that just to prep you for what I’m getting ready to say. That box in my garage weighs a ton. That is no exaggeration. You can ask the kid who helped me load it.

            Tomorrow, the box will be hauled into Kay’s workroom. I have a study. Kay has a workroom. She uses her room to make jewelry, knick-knacks, and artistic stuff. My special room is called a study because it’s where I read, write, and study stuff.  Fortunately, one does not need a lot of workspace in which to read and write. Talented people like Kay need places to store stuff as well as flat, well-lit, open areas so they can best do what they do.

            The problem we have here is carefully spelled out in the pact that Kay and I signed. I’d show it to you, but it’s in one of the 18 boxes that are crammed into my closet over yonder. The pact is called The Kay and Mark Household Item Accord. I would’ve put my name first, but Kay raised such a stink.

            The accord is a bit wordy, but it boils down to this: Before any non-edible and non-disposable item enters this house, an item of similar size and weight must be removed from said domicile.-- Tomorrow, we will remove from Kay’s workroom one desk, one table, and three shelving units. As soon as that is squared away, we will bring from the garage a one-ton L-shaped desk unit. I refer to it as a “unit” because “desk” doesn’t reflect the magnitude.

            I have every confidence that the assembling instructions will be every bit as clear as the synopsis for the series “The Witcher.” The legs to the apparatus are apparently made of steel and lead forged in Smolensk. The flat surfaces of the unit are made of sawdust, blended with glue, and mashed together to form the heaviest board-like material on the planet. If you have to remove a screw in the board, you had better not have to replace it, because glued wood will not accept a screw replacement. It’s one of those Isaac Newton principles.

            You can readily see why I am not looking forward to tomorrow. The only good thing happening is I get to play racquetball with Brad in the morning. The good thing about that is I’ll come home sweaty and worn out but won’t have to take a shower, because I’ll get even more tired and sweaty trying to assemble the Russian forged desk unit.

            I would ask Brad to give me a hand with the job, but he’ll expect me to help him with one of his projects. Brad does a lot of superfluous building of stuff. He constructed an outdoor shower. I imagine he did that because, uh…  I don’t really know why he did that. I do have an idea of why he felt the need to construct four monstrous Adirondack chairs. I think it’s because he likes to sit on slanted wood after showering.  He built his Adirondacks out of two by fours. Each one weighs almost as much as the box in my garage. At the moment, they’re each located at the exact same place they were located immediately after construction.

            So, while Brad would be pleased as punch to help me out, I can’t afford his generosity. I can’t run the risk of him asking me to help him relocate his lawnchairs. I could ask Big Al to come over and help me with the desk assembly, but he’d end up attaching me to one of the desk legs.

             I could ask Larry and Dennis to come up from Pasadena to help me, but I’d have to feed them, and they’re not going to settle for hotdogs.

            No, it will just be Kay and me on the desk project, and I assure you it will be a slow-go. Kay won’t let me assemble anything of hers without looking at the instructions. It doesn’t matter how obvious it is that “Bracket C” attaches to the underside of the desktop at the corner labeled NZ12, I have to verify it with the instructions. -- The instructions to provide one worthwhile warning. -- “NOTE: If you attach the wrong bracket to NZ12, do not remove the screw keeping the bracket in place. Instead, make the same mistake with Bracket D, and you may eliminate some of the tilt.” 

            I don’t have a good feeling about this. Which is a good thing, because there’s no way I can be disappointed in the results. That attitude has managed to serve me well over the years.    
  

end
hayter.mark@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment