Monday, May 11, 2020

sound of silence


Hayter article for February 16, 2020
“Fear of the sound of silence”

          Back when I was teaching, one of the more disturbing sounds for me was silence… the silence that occasionally followed one of my questions during a lecture. Some teachers will not say another word until someone comes up with an answer to their question. I could never do that.

            For one thing, I never liked it when one of my teachers did that. It made me feel embarrassed for our class and for the teacher. After about 20 seconds I’d have to raise my hand and make something up. Of course, if it were an algebra or trigonometry class, I was never smart enough to even make up an answer. -- “Sir, is it twelve to the 18th power?” -- “What?! Are you out of your mind, Dennis?” -- My high school teachers occasionally called me by my brother’s name. Dennis was three years ahead of me and much smarter. By the time I graduated, I had pretty much ruined his reputation.

            So, where is this headed? Let me think. Oh, yeah, Kay and I were at a social gathering last week when the discussion turned a bit insightful. I hate it when that happens. At a social gathering, no less! -- The host asked, “What is the most spectacular thing you’ve ever seen in nature?” --  A question like that requires way too much thinking for me. Best, worst, most spectacular…I hate digging for stuff like that. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve seen some spectacular stuff. Nothing like “attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion” like Rutger Hauer in “Blade Runner.” Let’s face it, I’ve been around. Oh, yes I have.

            Obviously, I don’t want to be the first to answer, because I don’t want to appear too anxious. And, because it will take me at least 30 minutes to come up with something. But there the question sat. Right in the cushy chair in the living room. And, it hung there for almost 30 seconds. Eight more seconds and it’s equivalent to an eternity in dog years. So, I took it upon myself to break the proverbial ice. Listen to this:

“I think it was in “Ripley’s Believe it or Not”, when they featured a guy who could draw and fire his pistol faster than anybody. The fact that the event was held outside made it qualify as something in nature. So, there were two balloons tethered about five feet apart. The man had his hand on a timer. All of a sudden -- POW! There was only one shot fired, and both balloons popped at once. That’s easy, the guy used buckshot. However, when they turned the tape to slow motion, you could clearly see that the guy drew his pistol, shot one balloon, moved his gun slightly to the right, and shot the second. It was so fast, you could only hear one POW, and, though the balloons seemed to pop at the same time, there was a nanosecond between two pops.”

            That’s what I said. And it hung right there for about an eternity in dog time. I turned to Kay and she had nothing. She was visually disavowing any knowledge of me. Fortunately, someone immediately followed with “The Grand Canyon.” That was that person’s most spectacular view of nature. Everyone agreed. “Beautiful. Just spectacular. A photo does it no justice…”
            Well, I’ve got to tell you. I’ve seen the Grand Canyon. It was nice. But after about 10 minutes I was ready to leave. The reason being, I just wasn’t in the mood. For the past six hours, I had been in a car with Kay’s family and her family’s dog, Bouncalot. Kay’s parents and her older brother were in the front seat with the dog, a chihuahua not known for its calm demeanor, ergo, the frisky name.

            Kay, her younger brother, and I were in the backseat. Kay and I were not yet married, so this was pretty much a test to see if such a thing were even possible. So, Uncle Ray, Kay’s Dad, drove us up to the Grand Canyon. We couldn’t’ see a thing, but a flat prairie.  It took us 15 minutes to disembark from that burnt orange Bonneville. A nice car. One that we had totally trashed. There were broken Saltines everywhere, strewn Kleenexes and an empty Kleenex box, peanut shells, empty soda cans… Begging the question, who brings unshelled peanuts on a car trip?

            At the time, most of us were suffering from intense thirst. And we were each weakened from hunger. Worst of all, Bouncalot had to go. She had to go NOW. As we walked closer, it appeared, the grandest of canyons. Immediately, I wrestled with the thought of jumping. Thinking better of it, I said, “Look there’s water down there!” I don’t remember how Kay described the scene, but it was something poetic. Almost made me cringe. Well, we all stood there for about 20 minutes, barely long enough for Bouncalot to find an appropriate place to relieve herself for the 12th time.

            All of the above, was why I could not in all good conscience, mention the Grand Canyon as my most spectacular view of nature. On the drive home from the gathering, I said, “Sequoias! Why didn’t I think of Sequoia National Park?” Kay said, “We both wish you had, dear.

            By the way, wanna know what Kay said her most spectacular scene from nature was? Honey bees. She loves watching bees. That’s just not fair. Kay can come up with baloney like that, and people will love it. I come up with the fastest gun in the world, and they act like I’m a four-year-old.
           
end
hayter.mark@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment