Thursday, May 7, 2020


Hayter article for November 10, 2019
“Like a slow walk in a bog”

             Well, I had no idea. – Whoa! Sorry about that. While waiting for you to show, I decided to do some research on Lincoln Logs. Beg pardon? Right, the small, log-like blocks that you link together to make a cabin. They’re like Legos, only they’re larger and don’t hurt as much when you step on ‘em barefoot.

            Anyway, when it’s article time, I generally stare at my blank computer screen and think up stuff. What came to mind this time was Lincoln Logs. I was wondering if they were originally called “Linking Logs.” Get it? I thought that maybe kids started calling them “Lincoln Logs” because kids have trouble with names. The things children do with Grandmother and Grandfather are criminal. I heard a kid say that he was raised by his “Granny Gammy.” I fear I’d be forced to return the favor by calling the grandson “Snothead.”

            But let’s try to get past that. The thing that I learned from my research was that world-renowned architect Frank Lloyd Wright’s son, John Lloyd Wright, is the one who invented the toy “Lincoln Logs.”  John was in Japan back in 1916 helping his Dad build the Imperial Hotel in Tokyo. To make the structure more capable of withstanding an earthquake, Frank Wright, decided to lay the foundation by using huge, notched, wooden beams that fit together. It was believed that there would be enough play in the beams to withstand an earthquake. 

            Low and behold, the Great Kanto Earthquake in 1923 hit Tokyo and leveled many of its buildings. But, the Imperial Hotel came through it all right. Most earthquakes don’t get a name. Only the really bad ones. By the way, the hotel made it through earthquakes and the bombings of WWII, but didn’t survive the wrecking ball. In 1968 it was demolished to make room for something that had a little more space. 

            And the Lincoln Logs? Well, during the hotel construction, John, who was 24 at the time,  and his dad had a falling out over money issues. I don’t have time research that, so just accept it, okay? So, John came home to the U.S., where he hoped to make some money on his own. That’s when it hit him. – Bop! –  Notched logs! He created what is referred to today as Lincoln Logs. I don’t know if his dad sued him for stealing the idea or not. I hope not.

            Right now, I must hit you with a quick transition. Bear with me. On the same page as the Lincoln Log article, there is a small picture of a man sprawled out on a snowy street. Below the picture are the words “How to fall safely.”  Instead of changing the subject to nuclear power plants, I’ve decided to share the “How to fall” article with you in the hope of saving at least one of you. So, while I’m reading the article, you might see if you can build a log cabin out of Wheat Chex.

            Okay, I’m back. And, have I got some good info for you. If you ever find yourself falling forward, you’re going to want to try to catch your fall with your outstretched hands of your knees. Don’t do that. You don’t want all your weight to go straight to your wrists or knees. There’s a good chance you’re going to be feeding yourself with your elbows while sitting on a bean bag.

            No, you need to turn sideways and try to land on the meatiest part of your body. For some of you that might be one of your ears. For me, it’d be my nose. For normal people, it’d be your shoulder, butt, or thighs. The article said “buttocks,” however, while you’re falling, I doubt the word “buttocks” is going to resonate. 

            Oh, and stay loose. That means to bend your knees and elbows and to not inhale. Inhaling will cause you to stiffen up. I had no idea, either. A stiff body breaks. A loose body flops.

            Now, pretend you’re falling backward. Do the same thing. During your fall, try to position yourself to land on your side. If that’s impossible, then you need to put your head down. In other words, chin to your chest. If nothing else, it will put you in a good position to pray.

            I know what you’re thinking. During an actual fall, there is no way on God’s green earth that you’ll be able to remember this. There’s an answer to that. You’re not going like it, either. You need to practice falling. I wouldn’t suggest trying it in the bathroom, kitchen, garage, or while standing up while in bed. No, you might try it on a trampoline, keeping in mind that several of you will experience a fall while trying to mount the trampoline. If that occurs, pretend it’s a practice fall.   
end

hayter.mark@gmail.com You can find Hayter’s book by going to Amazon.com and typing in  “Mark Hayter Christmas Storybook Story”. Please take notice of the cover that Joe Kolb created.

No comments:

Post a Comment