Monday, May 11, 2020

fire alarm


Hayter article for January 5, 2020
“A Noise in the Night”

          Something strange happened at the Hayter house one-night last year. To be more precise, it happened last Monday. That makes it the second to the last weird thing that happened at our house in 2019.

            I had been tossing and turning since about four in the a.m. That’s generally the time I wrestle with the dilemma of whether or not to get out of bed and go to the restroom. The argument “for” is the fact that it’s gotta be done at some point. The “against“ argument is “Yes, but does it have to be done right now?” -- If you can identify with this predicament, keep it to yourself. People will think it stupid.

            After about an hour of debating the issue, I heard a short, sharp whistle that repeated itself about every 30 seconds. After several beeps, I realized that I probably needed to investigate the source of the sound. My second thought was whether I should wait until I had decided on the question as to when I would visit the restroom. 

            Of course, I could wake Kay up and have her check on the whistle sound, while I decided on my restroom trip. I paused on that for about half a second. Kay is good at handling emergencies that involve somebody’s dog, cat, frog, turtle… any non-venomous creatures.  But, sounds in the night? Not so good.

            Well, short story longer, I decided to jump into the fray and check the restroom in the guestroom to see if it was the location of the sound. It wasn’t, but, while there, I took advantage of one of the room’s amenities.

            I don’t know if it’s my hearing or another game our house occasionally plays, but the sound seemed elusive. I didn’t mind that so much, because it gave me time to stop in the kitchen and eat a banana. Eventually, I caught the culprit. Turned out to be the smoke detector in the hallway. The light on it was blinking like a lighthouse with a really fast rotation. Come to find out, a couple of ‘em were doing that. I figured it was just a way of assuring the homeowner that he didn’t need to buy smoke detectors. I now know the light means that it’s time to change the battery in the smoke detector. What will they think of next?

            I don’t know if you’re aware, but it’s impossible for me to reach a smoke detector in this house by standing in a chair. Can’t be done. That made it necessary for me to find my ladder. This thing was becoming a job.
           
            To add to my problem, I discovered that the detector was wired to a device in the attic. “Why’s that?”I asked myself. (Questions to myself are often asked aloud.) Why does a wired object need a battery? Our builder must’ve included a super-safety feature. What if a detector’s battery dies while the electricity is turned off?  It may even be apart of a city building code. Fortunately, they didn’t think to include a natural gas system just in case a battery dies when the electricity is shut off. Maybe I should let Kay get us a couple of canaries.

            Crazy thing, after unplugging the smoke detector from the ceiling and removing the battery, the whistle sound continued blaring from the hole in the ceiling. That immediately got me thinking that perhaps our house was built atop a Celtic cemetery. Time to awaken Kay. After further investigation, I found that the sound was coming from the other side of the wall, in the guestroom.The batteries to two Smoke Detectors had mysteriously died only minutes apart.

            I decided to go ahead and change the battery in each of our smoke detectors.  Ended up getting a pack of eight batteries that were sealed in one of those heavy plastic, see-through packages. The ones that a rabid tiger couldn’t even open. Fortunately, a friend of mine gave me a pair of tin-snips for Christmas. The eighth best gift I’ve ever gotten. Unfortunately, the batteries were wrapped in one of those not-to-opened plastic contraptions.  

            How do little old ladies handle stuff like batteries that come in super-sealed packages? When a hunk like me has trouble opening up a sealed package how on earth do old ladies do it? Uh, I mean, elderly people. My tin-shears even came in one of those hard to open packages. I had to get that thing open with a claw hammer. It took me awhile to find the hammer after Kay hid it from me.

            Not only that but what do the elderly do in the middle of the night when they hear a shrill whistling-sound? How many poor souls would have no one to call in the middle of the night to handle something like that… or to open a jar of jelly or a Spam can? While working on that late night/early morning predicament, I thought of stuff like that. Even did a little research.

            Turns out, the number one accident-causing death among the elderly is falling. I wrote about that once last year. What I didn’t realize until late last Monday night is that most of those falls likely occur while little old ladies are standing in a chair trying to grab something on the ceiling. While it’s not wise to grab a gun and blow a hole in your smoke detector, there will likely come a time when I try something like that. Every year, life seems to make less and less sense to me. Why is that? -- By the way, I asked that question aloud.

           

End
hayter.mark@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment