Monday, May 11, 2020

multiple topics


Hayter article for February 9, 2020
“Something for everyone”

          I’ve mentioned it more than once that writing this column has been very therapeutic for me. It gives me the only chance I have release stuff that really weighs on my brain. So, in essence, I’m really writing for me. “Pour Moi”, as the French say. -- The way I constantly throw around French terms makes me wonder if a French person is clinging to the limb of the Hayter family tree. Perhaps one of the Hayter men fell for a beautiful French woman. “La femme.” I only hope it wasn’t Dad. (“That was a joke, Mom.” Mom is in heaven at the moment, but word does get around.)

            Before that French thing came up, I was talking about how I don’t actually write for anyone in particular other than myself. That’s why my articles are a hit or miss with you, my loyal reader… or the guy who picked up an old Courier at the YMCA.  -- “How did this idiot ever get to write for the paper?”

            This week, I’m going to try to please as many readers as possible, by varying my topics. For example, that comment about the French woman earlier was a variation of an unestablished topic. So, that is actually our topic. It’s a variation. La variation.

            · Last week, Brad Meyer was carrying on about the way companies ask you to review their items or their service. He had recently been to a place where the manager asked him to take time to review his service on-line. He told Brad that if he didn’t give him five stars that it would really be bad for him.

            Has that ever happened to you? It’s happened on a few occasions. When I  hear something like that, or get a similar request for someone I had recently done business with, I have to assume that the person was just being exceptionally nice in the hope I’d give him or her an excellent review. That’s what five stars indicate, you know? The service and food, or auto repair, or the person at the return desk who took back the shoes your spouse got for you -- the entire experience was as perfect as a presidential phone call.

            Do you know what does to the validity of five-star reviews? Well, I’m glad you do, so don’t have to explain it. -- By the way, just between you and hedgerow, no one should ever suggest that Brad doctor up a review. That man is honest to a fault. He’ll hammer you and then smile about it. I probably shouldn’t have included that last sentence, but it’s too much trouble to take it back now.

            · I’ve got a great idea for how to collect a bunch of pencils and writing pens and cooking utensils. What you do is set a jar or a small bucket out on a table, desk, or cabinet top. Then you just wait. They will come. There is a jar of pens and pencils on my desk, one on Kay’s desk, one in the kitchen and one in the living room. Each one of ‘em is packed tight with things to write with. And all but about two of them will work. I have no idea where they came from. Some mystical creature sneaks and fills empty jars with bad writing instruments.

            On the cabinet to the left of the stove, Kay has a large lidless cookie jar that is brimming with spatulas, giant spoons, weird stirring things that collect all kinds of gunk, tongs of every size, a spaghetti ladle for heaven’s sake, and a couple of things with handles supporting things that are mysterious as all get out. We use one of the spatulas and the spoon with holes in it and the medium tongs. The rest is just gathering grease.

            We’ve had spaghetti a bunch of times, yet never thought to use the giant spaghetti claw. I don’t even know when or how the thing got into the house. I do know one way it couldn’t have gotten in. Know what I mean? There are too many things we never use that we never discard… apparently because in the recesses of our medulla oblongata we fear we may one day need ‘em.

            · I actually saw a two-tone car not long ago. A brand new one! I wonder if it’s the start of something. Has enough time gone by that the pendulum is getting ready to swing back to a time when there colorful automobiles? Everything that can be done by mixing white with black has been tried. Maybe the color is called eggshell white, fog, tornado gray, silver ice metallic, stallion black. I don’t think there is pain anywhere in this country that is called just plain “white.” In fact, the Office of Weights, Measures, and Color have completely lost sight of what “white” really looks like.

            Perhaps we may now experience a two-tone revolution. White roof with red below. Green and blue. Candy apple red with an ivory stripe on the side. Do auto manufacturers realize why there are so many old people wandering around in the parking lot? All the cars look alike! Give us a break. That’s all I’m asking.

            · Dental insurance? What the Sam Hill is that all about? You pay $75 a month, for a policy with a $500 deductible, that pays $1500 max. So, I’m paying $900 a year to have my teeth cleaned. Actually, I don’t have dental insurance. I’ve done the math. I’ve got old folks’ home insurance, but I got it so long ago that it won’t pay a fraction of what Kay will have to pay to put me away.

            ∎ I think I’ll quit with that. I hope some of you were able to identify with at least one of these topics. If not, please know that the experience has done wonders for me. There’s probably a French word for that, but I don’t care to look it up. -- Next time.
                       
end
hayter.mark@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment